Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Self-Visualization Triptych








In the top panel, my past is represented by my walking down a path that is dimly lit, showing uncertainty and unhappiness, as I look back at the "ugly duckling", who looks different, being teased by the other ducklings, who look the same. The first book I read was "The Ugly Duckling", and as a child, I watched the movie "Hans Christian Andersen" many times, learning the song "The Ugly Duckling" from the movie. When I began early on to be made fun of due to my looks, I identified with the character of the ugly duckling, and fervently hoped that some day I would turn into a swan, and that a man would cone along and see the swan inside, regardless of how the outside turned out. In the left picture I am holding a mask of myself at age 12-13, before acne, but with wandering eyes and large crooked front teeth. I am dressed in monochromatic colors as I tried to be inconspicuous, so as not to gain negative attention. Farther down the path is a bright hopeful light, where there waits my handsome prince in my brighter future. The picture is of my husband who did see the swan inside and outside from the moment he saw me. He helped me see her too.
In the center panel, is my current life, with me no longer afraid to dress how I like, in bright colors, juggling my responsibilities, loves, and interests while trying to balance it all while standing on a board that is balanced on a ball ( welcome to my world). The objects juggled include husband, children, house, college student, religious school teacher, friends, singing, and chanting Torah. I could also have included cooking, creating art, creative writing, exercising, but I ran out of room in the picture, and no one would have believed me. Actually, I can't get to everything all of the time, hence the juggling.
In the last panel, on the bottom, my path takes me to the places that nourish my soul, bring me peace and contentment, and have been a part of who I am for most of my life. Loving the beach and hunting for shells, creating art (starting with drawing), dancing, and music. I have found through the years that when I leave no time for these things in my life, I am not a happy person, and not fun to live with. When I make time for them, I am at peace. Through all three panels music runs in a continuous stream. My father is a music teacher, and plays many instruments, my sister also plays three instruments, and my mother plays the organ and loves show tunes, so I grew up surrounded by instrumental and vocal music. Consequently I have a stream of music in my head all of the time, love to sing and dance, and listen to music a lot. However, I do not play an instrument, due to sheer stubbornness on my part, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment